Before you chug down that bottle of alcoholic drink at the next party you attend, there are a few things you should know…..

 
Alcohol poisoning, also known as, alcohol overdose incase you have not heard of it, occurs when a person consumes a large amount of alcohol usually over a short period. It is basically ingesting more alcohol than your liver can handle.

 
Let me run you through the journey that bottle goes through after crossing your mouth: Alcohol, unlike other food substances avoid the normal digestive process and goes right into the blood stream. 80% is absorbed in the small intestine and then it goes to the liver which is responsible for processing it.

 
A major cause of alcohol poisoning is binge drinking which is consuming an average of 4 – 5 bottles of alcoholic drinks within an average of 2 hours. Also the consumption of a large quantity of household products that contain alcohol e.g mouthwash either accidentally or intentionally.

 
A person with alcohol poisoning will present symptoms which includes: confusion, vomiting, seizures, slow breathing, hypothermia (low body temperature). Other symptoms are: reduced body functions leading to loss of sense of balance, irritations in the stomach which causes vomiting, it also numbs ones gag reflex and prevents it from working properly which could result in death.

 
You want to help that friend of yours who has had a little too much to drink, you should never leave them to sleep it off as alcohol levels still increase even while asleep, never give them coffee as it will only dehydrate them just like alcohol thereby making the situation a lot worse than it started out, never put them under a cold shower or walk them around as this will do more harm than good.

 
If you are wondering how many bottles you can down before your blood gets poisoned with alcohol, it might interest you to know that this cannot be derived by any formula, it is dependent on your age, sex, weight, how fast you have been drinking, how much you have eaten, your general health as well as other drugs you might have taken.

 
It is therefore advisable to take not more than 14 units of alcohol per week; a unit is 10ml which is equivalent to a single measure of spirits (above 37%),half a pint of average strength (4%) lager, two-thirds of a 125ml glass of average strength (12%) wine.

 
Getting medical help, trying to keep warm, eating before drinking, pacing oneself between drinks and staying off alcohol are ways to ensure you do not get yourself poisoned with alcohol.

 
Having stated all of these, you are advised to either stay away from alcohol or ensure you do not overload your liver with it as alcohol poisoning is deadly.

 
Stay Safe!!!!…….. Thanks for reading 😘

 
References
http://www.mayoclinic.org
http://www.drinkaware.co.uk
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com

 
compiled by Adeyemo Taiwo

pic credit: kmiragaya/Fotolia (sciencedaily.com)

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s